The Big Picture
Myross Bush School is situated on the outskirts of Invercargill in rural farmland. The school site covers 4 hectares (approximately 10 acres) giving space for 2 fields, staff and parent car parks, a scooter track, a tennis court, PE shed, large adventure course and smaller playground, numerous covered sandpits, Activity Centre (hall), office administration, Library and 8 classroom spaces.
We cater for students Years 1-6 and employ eight full time teachers alongside three classroom release teachers, a number of support staff and office administrators.
A little bit of history about Myross Bush School...
The first school to be held at Myross Bush was in a stable on Mr Garey's property. In 1866 a school and school house were built on Drysdale Road but when a bush fire destroyed the school in 1868 it was rebuilt on its current site at Mill Road North.
The school house was destroyed by fire in 1884 and then again in 1907. It was replaced in 1909.
Somewhere around 1915 a new school was built and in 1930 an electric light was installed in the school!
The school became a two teacher school in 1952 and in 1955 it was remodelled and added to.
In 1972 Roslyn Bush School was closed and consolidated with Myross Bush School which became a three teacher school. In this same year it also became a contributing school for Rosedale Intermediate (now James Hargest Junior Campus) in Invercargill.
In 1987 Grove Bush School closed and was consolidated on the Myross Bush School site. In 1988 it became obvious that the facilities were no longer adequate. Plans were drawn up for the replacement of the 1915 classroom and remodel of the main block. Two relocatable classrooms were moved on site ready to be renovated. During Term One of 1989 two classes moved into in the renovated relocatables and the old classroom was sold to a local farmer.
The roll continued to grow throughout the 1990's as more five acre blocks were created within the farmland around the school. Another relocatable was added in the early 1990's and finally a new roll growth classroom was built in 2007. The school now occupies a mix buildings - from the 1955 main block which now houses two learning groups, four relocatable's that are forty odd years old and one new classroom space. However the space around the school has been modified to suit the needs of todays learners and it is a vibrant and colourful space!
We cater for students Years 1-6 and employ eight full time teachers alongside three classroom release teachers, a number of support staff and office administrators.
A little bit of history about Myross Bush School...
The first school to be held at Myross Bush was in a stable on Mr Garey's property. In 1866 a school and school house were built on Drysdale Road but when a bush fire destroyed the school in 1868 it was rebuilt on its current site at Mill Road North.
The school house was destroyed by fire in 1884 and then again in 1907. It was replaced in 1909.
Somewhere around 1915 a new school was built and in 1930 an electric light was installed in the school!
The school became a two teacher school in 1952 and in 1955 it was remodelled and added to.
In 1972 Roslyn Bush School was closed and consolidated with Myross Bush School which became a three teacher school. In this same year it also became a contributing school for Rosedale Intermediate (now James Hargest Junior Campus) in Invercargill.
In 1987 Grove Bush School closed and was consolidated on the Myross Bush School site. In 1988 it became obvious that the facilities were no longer adequate. Plans were drawn up for the replacement of the 1915 classroom and remodel of the main block. Two relocatable classrooms were moved on site ready to be renovated. During Term One of 1989 two classes moved into in the renovated relocatables and the old classroom was sold to a local farmer.
The roll continued to grow throughout the 1990's as more five acre blocks were created within the farmland around the school. Another relocatable was added in the early 1990's and finally a new roll growth classroom was built in 2007. The school now occupies a mix buildings - from the 1955 main block which now houses two learning groups, four relocatable's that are forty odd years old and one new classroom space. However the space around the school has been modified to suit the needs of todays learners and it is a vibrant and colourful space!